Pages

Tuesday 17 December 2013

Introducing... Paul Newman

Over the next few weeks we will introduce each of the artists who have contributed to our inaugural exhibition Biophilia. The gallery is currently closed due to problems with the building. We apologise for this, our letting agent has assured us the problems will be fixed asap...

Paul Newman
Artist Statement


 I am a graphic fine artist who works exclusively in graphite.

I am intrigued by natural and man-made forms, especially where there has been a process of growth or decay, along with a sense of history or something unfolding over time. This can be ancient or more recent. I look to replicate the texture and substance of the subject I am investigating in detail; this could be weathering of an old church door, distorted growth of a tree, grain of a granite tor or the flow of a river. Moments in time and play of light are important in my work.

I am interested in walking to research my subject matter; some of the places I visit are off the beaten track, the more unusual the better. I like to explore subject matter by reading about it’s historical, geological or environmental background as well as referring to maps; to know and understand a place is important in being able to respond to it. I have walked many places in the South West including Purbeck, West Dorset and Dartmoor.

Work is always completed off site. I prefer to immerse myself in the moment and travel through a place; sometimes it is about the journey, how I found it, how I got there. I explore with my camera, using this to investigate composition, tone and texture. I make notes and scribbles. I might collect postcards or leaflets if they’re available. I will pore over maps and then forget them when I get to where I’m going. I enjoy making connections between things that I’ve read, such as how one author may reference another or point you to a place, and will use any relevant literature to build a picture and furnish these links.

My work enables the viewer to contemplate and reflect on the innate beauty of these distinct locations and their sense of place.

I completed my Degree at Falmouth College of Arts in 1995 and have recently shown at the Victoria Gallery in Bath 108th Annual Open show (winning the Diana Bourdon-Smith Drawing Prize), as well as the Society of Graphic Fine Arts 92nd Annual Open show in London and am currently exhibiting in The Royal West of England Academy’s 161st Annual Open Show in Bristol.

No comments:

Post a Comment